Pages

Tuesday 9 November 2010

The Big Easy - Saturday the 6th of November, 2010

In a week that started with Lessons in Pain, it seems about right that the week ended with a long, sublime "trail" run. I put the trail in inverted commas here because the section of Wilson Trail we ran was 90% paved!

My running weeks have always started on Sundays and finished on Saturdays. I think I originally went with this because I like to have my long run at the start of the week and be able to relax a little towards the end. But this set-up meant that I ran a long run at both the start and end of this week. In fact I *almost* cracked the 100km/week, falling short by 4km!!

Anyway, on to Saturday's run. Two weeks out from the Oxfam I knew this was probably my last longish run. I settled on stages 3-5 of the Wilson Trail, running them backwards (5 -> 4 -> 3, not actually running backwards) and leaving stage 3 early to run over to Hang Hau. Once again it was Wai and I, new brother-in-laws, chalking up some nice distance.

Going to see a movie the night before and getting to bed around 1am didn't deter me from getting up at 6.15am for an early start. Conditions were cold and wet. The only time it stopped raining was when we got enough altitude to enter the clouds and even then it didn't get any drier!

6/11/10 Wilson Trail 5-4-3 Run
Wai, setting out at the start of the trail. Apologies for the photos, it was *very* wet for the whole morning. Good thing my Pentax W90 is fully water proof (I've taken underwater photos with it no problems)! Doesn't stop water collecting on the lens however :(

6/11/10 Wilson Trail 5-4-3 Run
Halfway up the climb with the twisty, contour following path on the left

6/11/10 Wilson Trail 5-4-3 Run
Into the clouds, things only getting wetter!

6/11/10 Wilson Trail 5-4-3 Run
Running atop Fei Ngo Shan. Awesome dense clouds make it feel like we're the only people for miles and miles (in the middle of HK no less)!

6/11/10 Wilson Trail 5-4-3 Run
Buildings peering into the clouds as we descend Fei Ngo Shan

6/11/10 Wilson Trail 5-4-3 Run
All hail the Hypno-toad

6/11/10 Wilson Trail 5-4-3 Run
A close up of this awesome toad who was enjoying the rain

6/11/10 Wilson Trail 5-4-3 Run
The exposed section of the Lam Tin Morning Trail, nearing 21km here.

6/11/10 Wilson Trail 5-4-3 Run
My favourite piece of architecture in Hong Kong. Things still wet here on the short road run back to Hang Hau.

6/11/10 Wilson Trail 5-4-3 Run
6/11/10 Wilson Trail 5-4-3 Run
With around 400m gained in one go up Fei Ngo Shan, this is a moderate run and paved most of the way.

Despite getting a little off trail this was a fantastic run. None of the niggley knee problems that were plaguing me during the week and no running out of steam towards the end. In fact, we ran the last ~4km a bit faster than any other section! Next time I'll keep my eyes open for that trail but on the day it was probably too wet for us to take it at any speed anyway.

See you out on the trails!

~ Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment