Pages

Wednesday 27 October 2010

Razor Hill - Wednesday the 27th of October, 2010

With such a positive run on Tuesday, persisting sore legs from the weekend and night hiking on Thursday, I wanted to head out on a run that wasn't necessarily that hard but would keep me moving. I decided to take on Razor Hill. I figured it was so steep, I'd probably be walking half of the predicted 5km anyway!

It was a bit sunnier than I would have liked, but the air temperature was still quite cool... This is going to be a photo heavy post since it was so damn beautiful up there, so sit back and relax:

27/10/10 8.5km Razor Hill Run
Heading across the bridge out of UST, looking up at the target: Razor "Hill"

27/10/10 8.5km Razor Hill Run
Been here before, but this time choosing the steep uphill path to the right!

27/10/10 8.5km Razor Hill Run
Looking along the ridgeline towards the high-point of Razor "Hill". I swear it looked closer before!

27/10/10 8.5km Razor Hill Run
Looking back down the hill at the steep, steep stairs. My normal trail run contours the spur on the left of the picture down to the buildings in the centre.

27/10/10 8.5km Razor Hill Run
Getting up there now. That's still the same spur in the middle of the photo!

27/10/10 8.5km Razor Hill Run
A panorama from just about the top. From right to left: Po Lam residential towers, the path I followed up, HKUST in about the middle of the photo and almost Sai Kung on the left edge.

27/10/10 8.5km Razor Hill Run
Looking down at the highway overpasses that I took the photo at the end near.

27/10/10 8.5km Razor Hill Run
Hebe Haven and Sai Kung. The mountain in the background is on Stage 3 of the MacLehose Trail (I think).

27/10/10 8.5km Razor Hill Run
A (rare) self-portrait. I wanted to get one of me standing on the datum post, but couldn't find anywhere else flat, so ended up taking it from the datum post. On another note: Wow... talk about thunder thighs!

27/10/10 8.5km Razor Hill Run
It wouldn't be a proper Hong-Kong-Joe-Gray Trail Run with a bit of bashing through the jungle! The descent was heavily vegetated.

27/10/10 8.5km Razor Hill Run
Almost back at HKUST looking up towards the "hill"

27/10/10 8.5km Razor Hill Run
27/10/10 8.5km Razor Hill Run

You've probably noticed that I've taken to putting the "hill" part in inverted commas... not sure exactly if a 438m peak still counts as a hill!

With over 400m elevation gain, just about all within ~1.5km, this run is hardly a push over. On the uphill slopes, however, the gradient was just too steep for me to run, so I ended walking up about 30% of the slope I guess, so, on the downhill sections I was still feeling fine. Also, I underestimated the 8.5km length a little (by about 30%!), so it took me longer than expected.

A great dirt trail, an isolated location and fantastic vistas. Another awesome box ticked!

See you on the slopes!
~ Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment