Pages

Saturday 2 July 2011

Ideal Conditions - Wednesday the 28th of June, 2011

I was super excited to look out the window on Wednesday morning. Of course, the temperature was lower... but I was happier about my chance to run in torrential downpouring conditions!

I had planned to run the slightly-longer-than-normal-lunchtime-route down to High Junk Peak Trail and back, and everytime I go down there extreme weather seems to happen!

20110629 Torrential Rain Road/Trail Run
The very deep gutter overflows mere minutes after it starts raining

20110629 Torrential Rain Road/Trail Run
With the continually heavy downpour, cars were casting off huge wakes

20110629 Torrential Rain Road/Trail Run
The rain continues as I head out towards the start of the trail

20110629 Torrential Rain Road/Trail Run
I pass the 7th Day Adventist School, that although pretty remote, is in an idyllic setting

20110629 Torrential Rain Road/Trail Run
I hit the trail and am pretty happy with the effort to make it up onto the ridge without slowing to a walk. Seems the cooler temps are helping

20110629 Torrential Rain Road/Trail Run
Trail conditions weren't really perfect, and a lot of the time, I was running through deep puddles... but the rain had stopped

20110629 Torrential Rain Road/Trail Run
Great views as I cruise northbound along the trail

20110629 Torrential Rain Road/Trail Run
Looking towards Tseung Kwan O and the post-work trail I often run




















As I move onto the coastal side, low clouds close in on me

20110629 Torrential Rain Road/Trail Run
Looking downwards my goal, still roughly 6-8km away

20110629 Torrential Rain Road/Trail Run
Trail conditions not on the improve despite the rain stopping

20110629 Torrential Rain Road/Trail Run
The last downhill push before the road section to get back to UST

20110629 Torrential Rain Road/Trail Run
Within 15 seconds of me getting back onto the road, the torrential rain started again, as if on cue. Just as I surmounted the final hill, I found this construction had taken of the footpath, and I was forced to squeeze against this truck as cars zip fast, heading down the hill...

All in all a great run.

Bring on the typhoon season!
~ Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment