Pages

Thursday 7 July 2011

Homage to our Sun - Tuesday the 5th of July, 2011

On my long Tuesday night run I got to experience the most breathtakingly beautiful sunset in memory. I ran up along my Half High Junk Peak route and managed to get to the top of High Junk Peak at the perfect time to watch luminous finale. While the photos don't do it justice, I've got plenty of them, so let's get started!

20110705 Amazing Sunset Trail Run
Deep blue skies and unusually bright sun for 6pm, when I was departing

20110705 Amazing Sunset Trail Run
The sun casting long golden shadows just before I turn onto the trail

20110705 Amazing Sunset Trail Run
The sun was far too bright for me to even look toward it here, I had to put the camera between myself and the sun!

20110705 Amazing Sunset Trail Run
Things still pretty bright as I continue up the hills

20110705 Amazing Sunset Trail Run
Long shadows and golden light

20110705 Amazing Sunset Trail Run
The dark-side of the range

20110705 Amazing Sunset Trail Run
In what has become my banner photo, liquid gold pours through the gaps in the mountains, reflected off the tops of the towers, as I climb ever higher

20110705 Amazing Sunset Trail Run
The city

20110705 Amazing Sunset Trail Run
Ribbons are often used as markers for difference races and orienteering activities. This one is tied to a shrub just before the final climb onto High Junk Peak

20110705 Amazing Sunset Trail Run
While climbing the hill, I found this guy. He didn't sit still for very long, and I couldn't quite get as good a photo as I wanted

20110705 Amazing Sunset Trail Run
I was originally planning on just spending a couple of minutes at the top of High Junk Peak, admiring the view, but when I got up there, I found a grasshopper sitting atop the trigonometric post I normally climb. I spent 5mins taking photos of him!

20110705 Amazing Sunset Trail Run
The grasshopper was quite happy to be photographed. The sinking sun and city visible behind him.

20110705 Amazing Sunset Trail Run
After a while I coaxed the grasshopper off the post and climbed up there myself. I was enthralled by the sinking sun, melding into gold, then into a red orb. I couldn't tear myself away till every glimmer had sunk below the horizon, moving on to light another part of the world

20110705 Amazing Sunset Trail Run
A river of gold. Lion rock visible just right of centre

20110705 Amazing Sunset Trail Run
I really love this shot, and it's my current desktop wallpaper. If anyone else would like a full sized version, just let me know.

20110705 Amazing Sunset Trail Run
The city coated in pastel tones

20110705 Amazing Sunset Trail Run
As the sun darkens to red, the intensity of the moment heightens

20110705 Amazing Sunset Trail Run
Painterly

20110705 Amazing Sunset Trail Run
I imagine the sun moving around the world, with a sunrise on the other side of the Earth. It was one of those rare moments you can faintly paw at the sheer scale of things. Honestly, such a strong emotional moment

20110705 Amazing Sunset Trail Run
After the sun sinks, I make a move to get off the top of the peak. It's quite a treacherous descent, and preferable to make it in the light! This was halfway down off the trail, the light still hanging in the sky.

20110705 Amazing Sunset Trail Run
As I cruise back towards HKUST along the roads, there's still intense colours left in the sky

20110705 Amazing Sunset Trail Run
The moon rises as the light fades

Although not a super physical achievement (especially with a 15min break in the middle), this run was an awesome reminder of why I do what I do. I feel very privileged to be able to get out and experience these natural wonders. I dearly hope I can vividly recall this night so I can compare it to the next amazing encounter.

Chase the Golden Hour!
~ Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment