Pages

Tuesday 17 May 2011

Surfing the Web - Friday the 14th of May, 2011

I woke up on Friday morning to the sound of heavy heavy rain, and as I was getting my gear together for the lunchtime run, I decided to bring the Brooks Cascadias so I could head out on the trails, without worrying about ending up on my arse.

Lunchtime rolled around, and my legs still being sore, I decided just to do the "double trail route". This route does have a lot of climbing (almost 200m of vertical gain), but I can take it slow and enjoy the scenery. But as I was heading out the front UST gate, I thought... nah... I've got the serious shoes... let's go on an adventure! So I decided to head back down along the coastal jungle trail north of HKUST.

Heading out across the bridge, I turned right, past the school following the little residential road downhill. I wasn't 100% on where I was going (have only come this way once before), but hopped the fence and headed down alongside the apartment complex

20110513 Spider Short Trail/Jungle Run
Razor wire glittering in the wet sunlight

20110513 Spider Short Trail/Jungle Run
Oh, looks like I've found the right place. Time to start the trail adventure.

Then... BAM... spider-web right in the face.

Oh... I remember now... the spiders love this dense, enclosed section of the trail. After a few short metres and numerous spider-webs already, I found small branch and proceed to slowly jog down the path, waving the branch in front of me collecting most (but not all) of the webs that blocked my way.

20110513 Spider Short Trail/Jungle Run
Luckily, pretty little guys

20110513 Spider Short Trail/Jungle Run
Starting to get closer to sea level, and the path opens at the top, meaning that I'm mainly copping spider webs on my legs now, instead of in the face

20110513 Spider Short Trail/Jungle Run
The vaguely visible trail doesn't really lend itself to fast times, but the scenery is pretty good!

20110513 Spider Short Trail/Jungle Run
A brief stop at the beach for a photo before returning to the spidery trails

20110513 Spider Short Trail/Jungle Run
Crossing a little creek. No freshwater yabbies this time (I did look)

20110513 Spider Short Trail/Jungle Run
The trail becomes better defined, but rather enclosed again

20110513 Spider Short Trail/Jungle Run
Sai Kung Jungle coastline

20110513 Spider Short Trail/Jungle Run
As I get closer to civilization the trail quality improves and my speed picks back up again

20110513 Spider Short Trail/Jungle Run
Beautiful overcast conditions for the beautiful coastline

Just as it started, the trail randomly comes out deep in some village, and I head along the road preparing for the large hill

20110513 Spider Short Trail/Jungle Run
I pass a final little store before the hill back up to UST. Not including some of the trails, the hill out of Sai Kung back to UST is probably the hardest road hill in the region.

20110513 Spider Short Trail/Jungle Run
20110513 Spider Short Trail/Jungle Run

As you can see, the actual trail section is rather short. Probably only about 2km of the 7km route, but because of the terrain, etc, it's rather slow going and takes probably half of the full run's time!

Once again, I'm reminded why I don't do this route very often. The scenery is beautiful, but this course isn't really run-compatible (it'd be a better hike). A quick jaunt up Razor Hill probably comes out in front in my mind!

See you all out on the trails!
~ Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment